SUMMARY: Multiple NIC setup

From: Thomas, Douglas L. <dthomas_at_glgt.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 16:21:26 -0500

Sorry for the tardy response. The original message is at the bottom.

>From Pat O'Brien:
The answer is yes. I have multiple systems with multiple nic's in various
configurations. From a strict networking mode, this is very simple to
configure. To configure existing systems to utilize multiple networks
depends on changes which can be performed with user & without user
modification in commands. In some situations, I have added gigabit
adapters, and configured in such a way as the users don't know that they go
over a gb adapter, while in other situations, I have made changes that the
users actually must use a different hostname to use the different adapters
to connect to different servers. I have also utilized 4 port adapters on
backup to maximize the network during backups. From expirence, I will add
caution should be used when adding multiple adapters to a system. Some
software binds itself to a specific adapter, and claims to be copied/pirated
software when a different interface comes into the picture. Legato was real
finicky with multiple adapters, but also had built in the mechanism to
correct when utilized properly.

>From Jesper Frank Nemholt:
Two ways. well 3 actually :

1. Upgrade to 5.1A and wait for the first patchkit (due out in about 2-3
months according to rumours on this list (I don't know, and if I did I
wouldn't confirm <g>).
With this patchkit you can (maybe <g>) bundle the 4 ports as one and get
better speed between the server and the switch connecting the server with
the clients.

2. Set up your DNS to do round robin on the 4 IPs for the 4 ports so every
nslookup (gethostbyname()) will return a new IP from the pool of 4. This way
you'll get som sort of load balancing, but you need to test if it works with
Veritas. It depends on how a backup connection is initiated.

3. Setup your 4 ports with a different IP and different name and manually
assign 25% of your clients to each port.

(4). Similar to 3 more or less : Define each of the 4 as a seperate IP
subnet and assign 25% of the clients to each port/subnet.

Solution 1 is the most elegant, but currently not available.

Solution 2 is allmost as elegant, but it may not work with some
applications. However it's easy to try. Just add the 4 IPs to the DNS and
give them the same name. If using BIND, then the default behavior is to do
round robin. If using Microsoft DNS I believe you have to tell it to use
round robin.
Previously this was called B records, contrary to the normal A records, but
nowadays you just add the IPs under the same name and BIND does round robin.

You can test solution 2 very easily with nslookup/dig/host :

[root_at_picasso /]# host nsrhost.backupnet.dassic.com
nsrhost.backupnet.dassic.com. has address 10.0.2.70
nsrhost.backupnet.dassic.com. has address 10.0.2.71
nsrhost.backupnet.dassic.com. has address 10.0.2.72
nsrhost.backupnet.dassic.com. has address 10.0.2.73

As you can see, I get 4 answers when asking for one host, and if I try to
telnet or connect to the host in some sort of way, I'll get a different IP
every time based on round robin.

....but ofcourse this only works when using DNS. If you setup NetBackup to
hardcoded hostnames in /etc/hosts or IPs, this won't work.

>From Kevin McDonnell:
Set up 4 address's and give them different names in your hosts/dns/nis

direct the clinets to use a each as a server name.

Have fun