strict outgoing mail FQDN

From: Tru64 User <tru64user_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 07:01:21 -0800 (PST)

Greetings,

Quick question: How do i ensure that all outgoing
mail, regardless of mailer program, goes out with a
fully qualified domain name, even to local user?

History:
Using sendmail 8.9.3
We migrated from using NCD Xterms, to PC environment
with Xceed. Initially all users used cde for mail
applications, now, pop server to PCs' using
Eudora/outlook etc. mail clients.
Also, initially we used local server email addresses
(ie. if i work on host tamus, email would be
richard_at_tamus.cias.com), now we migrating to corporate
accounts, eg. richard.john_at_cias.com

But, at the cias.com domain, it simply forwards the
mail to the real mailbox, in this case tamus.cias.com.

For a few users still using xterms, writing an email
from the cde mailer, to local user on tamus, it goes
out without a FQDN. eg. richard_at_tamus writes to
robert_at_tamus (robert using PC), the mail only shows up
(on roberts end)as coming from richard (not
richard_at_tamus or richard_at_tamus.cias.com). So, upon
hitting reply, there is only a username, not a fully
qualified domain name. So since the outgoing mail on
PCs' goes thru corporate server, cias.com, it bounces
with "not a valid user".
However, it goes out fine (with FQDN) when using pine
on same local system. So this leaves me confused as to
where to check. Another interesting part, is mail to
outside our domain, eg. to a hotmail, yahoo addresss,
it goes out with a fqdn.
Sendmail setup:
========= SYSTEM IDENTITY (after readcf) ============
      (short domain name) $w = tamus
  (canonical domain name) $j = tamus.cias.com
         (subdomain name) $m = cias.com
              (node name) $k = tamus.cias.com

I have the following mail programs...Mail, binmail,
mail...
not which one is used by cde or pine, and haven't been
able to find out so far......

_Thanks in advance.

Richard

=====