RPC delay/Bug problem

From: Siebert, Aaron <aaron.siebert_at_nagrastar.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 11:31:10 -0700

Any ideas?

PROBLEM#1 (occurred frequently in the application that runs on Digital
UNIX V4.0D (Rev. 878) and uses DCE v3.1.0 (decdce):
The application is an RPC server that listens for the incoming RPC calls
from RPC clients and at the same time is an RPC client to the many RPC
servers.

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION: Problem occurred when the application acts as a
client to the multiple RPC servers. Every 30 minutes the applications
updates the data on the multiple RPC servers. These updates are
performed sequentially for all RPC servers. During some updates (mostly
for few RPC servers at the end of the list), the RPC/TCP packets are
delayed for 30 - 90 minutes after the RPC calls have been made on the
application level.

         The following questions we are looking to be answered
        1.Why there is a delay of 30 - 90 minutes for the outgoing
packets (RPC/TCP)?
        2. What is the possible cause of this delay?
        3. If there is resource shortage, I would expect the
notification from the RPC runtime?
        4. If there is any compile/runtime configuration that allows to
avoid of control this behavior?
        5. If there is an available patch (new version) to fix this
problem?

Aaron Siebert
IT Engineer Nagrastar
Aaron.Siebert_at_nagrastar.com