slow logins

From: Ballowe, Charles <CBallowe_at_usg.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 14:18:28 -0600

Sorry if this has been asked and answered before, but searching
the archives and google for the obvious didn't turn up anything.
I have some boxen that are almost exactly the same (software wise)
but some of them have recently become very picky about letting
users log in if it can't resolve a name for their IP. This applies
to telnet, ssh, and ftp. Adding entries to /etc/hosts fixes things,
but I'd rather not have to do that for every host that connects.

Is there any way to stop them from requiring the reverse lookup?
Some of my systems don't seem to be requiring it, and some just
started.

Thanks
-charlie