swap file causing physical memory errors?

From: Daniel Monjar <Daniel.Monjar_at_na.biomerieux.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 09:03:23 -0500

4100 with 5.1a...

We had what looked to be a physical memory error this morning. The admin
on duty spent about an hour playing with the swap file size, decreasing it
in stages as an attempt to make the physcial error go away. He reasoning
was that the large swapfile file caused the system to access a part of
physical memory that was bad. So by decreasing the size of the swap file
he figured that as some point we'd stop accessing the "bad" memory.

Before I call BS on this I wanted to check to make sure that my
understanding was correct. I don't see any way that the size of the swap
file would affect which locations of physcial memory would be accessed. I
don't know of any OS that works that way, certianly not Tru64, VMS or NT.
Am I wrong?

--
Daniel Monjar
IS Manager, Technical Services