SUMMARY: can't specify partition size in 5.1 install

From: <jreed_at_athena.appliedtheory.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 09:53:41 -0500

The consensus was that you can specify the partition size in
the GUI during the 5.1 install, but that if you using a terminal
and doing the text-based install, you must still ctrl-z out to
the UNIX shell, use disklabel and an editor to do the partition,
and then restart the install. Painful. Ick! ACK!!

After struggling with the GUI disk configuration, I must say
that it is incredibly counter-intuitive, compared to Sun's.
You can configure a Solaris disk without reading anything, just
by filling in fields in the GUI. The main Tru64 Installation
guide does not explain how to manipulate the GUI, and trial
and error was very painful. There seems to be a bit more in
the Advanced Install guide, but it's more on planning, not on
doing the gui.

In the end we finally set all partitions to 0 size, starting
at the last block of the disk, and then were able to start
with the "a" partition and proceed to size them as we wished.

Thanks to all who replied and commiserated!!!!!!!

Judith Reed