Sharing user directories between network without security concern s

From: McGuinness Todd <todd.mcguinness_at_nagra.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 11:35:29 +0100

Hello All,

Just came across a small security concern:

The situation:

We have 2 departments, an IT department and R&D department, both of which
use TRU64 unix on many servers, but the main usage of TRU64 is development.
The R&D department has a Systems Engineer that needs to add utilities/tools
and kill certain processes on development machines, meaning he must have
root priveleges. The development machines on the network are using NFS
mount points to a centrally located USER directory repository. We are also
using Yellow Pages.

The IT department does not want to give the administrator in the R&D
department ROOT access on development machines because it is concerned that
said administrator can assume any USER id.

The question:

How can we best solve this problem and assuage any fears IT might have?

Cheers,

Todd M. McGuinness
Systems Engineer
R&D Department