Recommendations for archiving files

From: Aldridge, Robert E. <REAldridge_at_mcdermott.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 15:09:13 -0500

Tru64 Managers:

On our Tru64 5.1 cluster, we want to archive about 50GB of files for the
users. What's the recommended format for this archive?

For daily backups, we use Legato Networker -- but I'm not sure I want to use
Networker for something I might have to go back to in 5 years.

Assuming I use the DLT40/80 tape drive on the system, what format would you
recommend? Dump? Tar? Cpio?
Specific command examples (and switches) would be appreciated.

I also have to assume that I might have another brand of Unix in 5 years --
so I don't want a vendor-specific format.

I searched the Tru64 mailing archive, and came up with a decent summary of
the same problem. I'm just looking for validation (that the information is
still relevant and accurate)...

----
SUMMARY: Archiving Files to Tape
----