Missing /dev/null device?

From: Smith, Mike R. <smithmr_at_bowater.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 11:24:35 -0400

I have one 5.1 pk 6 system that has had strange files show up in the / root directory about a week ago. Working with HP they could not determine where they came from. I have been moving them to /var/tmp one by one by inode, then verifying that they are 0 blocks as they were before. I have then deleted them about 10-20 at a time. This may or may not be related to my real issue. Suddenly our application has been experiencing problems and it won't start saying that it can't find /dev/null.

I looked at one system that still worked and I found the following:
lrwxrwxr-x 1 root system 9 Oct 27 1999 dtremote -> /dev/null
crw-rw-rw- 1 root system 2, 2 Apr 25 10:52 null
-rw-r--r-- 1 root system 0 Apr 17 2001 null

On the non working system I have
crw-rw-rw- 1 root system 2, 2 Apr 25 11:22 null

The working system is development, the non working is production. OS wise they are identical, the dev box is just a smaller box. Patch kits are identical except the prod box does not have the latest sendmail yet. Any ideas as to why the discrepancy?