Stupid mailx question

From: Greg Rudd <G.Rudd_at_isu.usyd.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 17:34:35 +1000

Hi all

I am trying to port some scripts that were writen in tru64 over to linux
and when I try to execute the script that uses mailx to send a uuencoded
attachment that takes in a command as standard input from a file and
appends the standard output from the commands executed in that file and
then mail it to a number of users.

On the alpha the commands work as you would expect however on the linux
box the standard imput from the file is passed to mailx as a litteral
with the mail message being the contents of the input file.

eg mailx -s "why does this work on an alpha" foo_at_bar.edu.au < input-file

the input file contains the following:

on the alpha
~<! /usr/bin/uuencode /usr/opt/sis/flx_interfaces/pay_alloc_report
PALLOX.xls

on the linux box*
~! /usr/bin/uuencode /usr/opt/sis/flx_interfaces/pay_alloc_report
PALLOX.xls

* the linux version of mail/mailx does not appear to like ~<! command to
run a script or command but yet it is listed in the man page.

Is there something different with the RHEL implementation of mailx
(which is a posix implementation of mail) or am I doing something wrong
or stupid here.