Slowing down DNS request answers possible ?

From: Marcel Bernards <bernards_at_ECN.NL>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 1995 13:53:56 +0100

Hi AXP managers.

We run a AXP Alpha 2.0 OSF/1 DNS named daemon as our primary bind server
(former 4/280 Sun)

All things works OK , exept that this system responds quite a bit faster than
that old Sun.

The problem with these fast response is that a big number of PC's using a Microsoft
TCP/IP stack does not catch the BIND responses.

This is some obscure problem in the MessyDOS driver which has to switch from
real mode to protected CPU mode and vice versa. MS confirmed that.
(we used an ethernet sniffer to detect that)

The PC manager asked me if I could slow down BIND request for a 100 milliseconds.

I looked at the man page of named, but there were no options for that purpose.
I also looked at the 4.9.2. bind code, but I really don't want to dig that deep to
kludge around for what I in my humble opinion consider a bug on the PC.

Does anyone has a trick to slow down the named responses a few milliseconds ?
Another PC driver is not really an option now.

Thanx in advance.