SUMMARY: Boot system

From: Benlu Jiang <jiang_at_csdeca.cs.missouri.edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 1995 17:14:54 -0600

Thanks for all who replied:
tpb_at_zk3.dec.com
thomas_at_lkg.dec.com
speno_at_cc.swarthmore.edu F
jj_at_uniprise.com
gfkpci_at_borg.cis.rit.edu
rduta_at_macross.umsl.edu
tjl_at_siva.bris.ac.uk
fabrice_at_cisk.ATMOS.Ucla.EDU
jacy_at_fluid.mro.dec.com

> When we turn the power on, it will automatically boot the system.
>
> How can we directly get to prompt >>> ?

As the system is powering up, press the "halt" button (on the back of the
case) before it gets fully booted. This will give you the ">>>" prompt
without having to fully load the OS and then issue a "halt" or "shutdown -h"
from the root account.

If you want the default action on power up to be to halt in the console,
issue the SET AUTO_ACTION HALT command. Use the SHOW command first to see
how it's currently set.

> Also how do we boot to single user mode from >>>
> I tried b/2, but didn't work.

At the ">>>" prompt, issue the "boot -fl s" command. Flag "s" (or "S")
means come up to single-user mode.

Benlu Jiang