SUMMARY: MODEM problems on 4/166: bug in serial port drive!!!

From: Charlie <jui_at_greisen.physics.utah.edu>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 1995 00:00:12 -0700 (MST)

Dear OSF1 managers:

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me solve my problem getting a dial-in
MODEM to work on an alphastation 200 4/166. It turns out that the "ace"
serial port driver shipped with OSF/1 v3.0 has all kinds of bugs in the
handling of DTR. Special thanks to one of the DEC engineers (I did not ask
permission to give his name here) who happens to remember that there are
bugs in the driver and sent me a replacement object module "ace.o". After
rebuilding the kernel, I gained full modem-control capability on the
serial port and the modem now behaves exactly as it should.

Unfortunately, this "fix" is undocumented and unsupported at the moment.
I would urge any DEC people out there to push to have the fix to such a
major bug made public as soon as possible. I imagine as the 4/166 and
4/233 statiosn continue to ship, more users will run into this problem,
so perhaps those who keep the FAQ might want to put this item into the OSF1
FAQ, at least until the problem is fixed.

thanks to all

Charlie Jui
Dept. of Physics
University of Utah