"LCASE" on modem port

From: Charlie <jui_at_greisen.physics.utah.edu>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 1995 00:05:12 -0700 (MST)

Dear managers...

having fixed my MODEM control problem (as summarized in the last message)...
I now run into two more mundane, but puzzling problems:

(a) the serial port seems to pick up a modem response (connect 14400 baud...)
as "login" username, and prompts for password immediately.

(b) all the lower case letters become upper case, and upper case letters
get "\" prepended to them. A "stty" command reveals that somehow I've picked
up the attributes echoek, xcase, iuclc, and olcuc. While this is easily fixed
by a "stty -LCASE", I'd rather not have this problem.

Can anyone tell me what is wrong?

thanks

Charlie Jui
Dept. of Physics