summary: problem with DEC DSP drive

From: Rakesh Jain <jain_at_smuhep1.physics.smu.edu>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 1995 12:59:24 -0600 (CST)

hi,
        following is the sumamry of responses I got for my question.

From: nharwood_at_coles.com.au

We had some problems with Seagates on AT&T system 3000s where their
in-drive cache was clashing in some way with the UNIX systems
SCSI dual-cache driver. What you descibe is exactly what we experienced,
the cause was that the SCSI bus had locked up. The initial work around for
us was to disable one of the cache's on the UNIX side, the long term
work around was to go to DEC drives.

From: haeni_r_at_vptt.ch

Well, I didn't had exactly the same problem a jear before, but I also had
to repoot the server to get access to files. After update to OSF/1 Version
3.0, the problems dismissed.

From: tpb_at_zk3.dec.com

It sure sounds like you've got a bogus drive. If it's under any kind of
service contract or warranty, I'd get it replaced if I were you. If you
don't have a service contract or warranty, I'd consider retiring it if I
could move the data elsewhere.

From: SEB_at_LNS62.LNS.CORNELL.EDU

If the other disks are still working, then you shoudn't need to
reboot the Alpha.

Have you tried cycling the power on that disk drive by itself
without rebooting the system?

        I tried to power cycle the disk in question but it did not work.
        I had to reboot the machine. Also since the drive was not responding
        I could not umount the disk and so infact had to power cycle the machine to reboot.

        I will try to upgrade the os to the latest release and see it that
        helps.

Thank you all for the replies.

Rakesh