SUMMARY - CMU cmu-snmp1.0 problems

From: paul e. miller <millerp_at_use1.eglin.af.mil>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 1995 08:04:28 -0600 (CST)

My orignal post was:

> Has anybody on the list successfully gotten cmu-snmp1.0 or cmu-snmp2.1.1
> to work on an osf/1 box? We are having problems with our network and we
> need a tool that can interrogate our DECbridge 620s and dump their counters
> so that we can see what kind of errors they are reporting.
>
> Back to the cmu-snmp1.0 - 2.1.1 problems... When I execute the make,
> the script dies when trying to compile snmp_vars.c. The error refers to
> the include file "/usr/include/netinet/in_pcb.h" line 88. The error message
> says "storage size for 'inp_ip" isn't known. The actual source line is:
>
> struct ip inp_ip;
>
> I also get an error from /usr/include/netinet/tcp_var.h at line 108. The
> error is storage size for 't_template' isn't known. The source line is:
>
> struct tcpiphdr t_template;
>
> Does anybody know about these errors with the system's include files?
> I'm fighting a very short deadline in trying to come up with an snmp tool
>that can query my network devices and return their counters.

I received responses from:

        Mike Iglesias <iglesias_at_draco.acs.uci.edu>
        Anthony Baxter <anthony.baxter_at_aaii.os.au>

Mike's reply got my 1.1 version of cmu-snmp to work. However, I have the
1.1 version running on my ULTRIX platform. For the ULTRIX box, I also had to
add #include <xti.h> to snmp_vars.c.

> I found where those two stucts are defined by using grep in
> /usr/include/netinet. for the problem in inp_ip, you can try
> including ip.h before in_pcb.h. For the problem in tcp_var.h,
> try including tcpip.h before tcp_var.h. You may just need to
> rearrange includes if they are already included after the ones that need
> the structs defined.
>
> If you get it working I'd be interested in what you had to do to
> make it work - I've been thinking of building the CMU snmp stuff too
> for some things we'd like to have.
>

> Mike

Anthony's replies got me a working (beta) version of 2.1.

First reply --

> I have an _almost_ working port of the CMU snmp 2.1 suite. Theres
> a memory corruption bug that I've still got to track down - unfortunately
> this bug makes it pretty much useless. I've been hoping to get time to
> finish this off for several months - I might try to get some time
> this afternoon...
>
> If you're really desperate, compile under Ultrix, then use 'mx' to
> translate the ultrix executable to an alpha executable. Thats what I
> have done to give myself some working executables...
>
> Anthony

Second reply --

> Ok, your mail inspired me to sit down and finish the port of CMU SNMP 2
> to the alpha. I have something now that appears to work fine - but as it's
> had very very little testing, I'm leery of releasing it to the general
> population just yet.
>
> If you really need access to this, I can make the current (beta-quality)
> port available to you, on the following conditions:
>
> you do not redistribute it for the time being
> you report any bugs back to me.
>
> If the above is acceptable, let me know, and I'll mail you a ftp location
> for the code.
>
> Anthony

I agreed to Anthony's terms and he allowed me to down-load his beta version
of the code. I installed it on my OSF/1 box and it seems to be working fine.

My thanks to both Mike and Anthony.

Paul Miller
Senior Software Engineer
TYBRIN Corporation