SLIP and IP forwarding (OSF 2.0)

From: Steve Madsen <smadsen_at_cs.muohio.edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 1995 22:44:01 -0500 (GMT)

        I realize that this is probably not the most appropriate thing to
ask on this list, but I have *no* access to the 2.0 documentation CD-ROM.
Our university has a site license and the CD is somewhere else. I'm not
sure where, otherwise I'd try to get it and look there first.

        Here's my problem: I'm running Linux on a Pentium based PC at home,
and I want to connect over a 14.4k link to the Alpha at work. I have this
much working, quite nicely. I'm running telnet connections and things are
just swell. (X apps won't open, but that's another story, and totally
internal to my Linux box).

        I do *not* have routed running on either system. I *do* have
the IP forwarding and IP gatewaying setup on the Alpha using 'iprsetup -s'.
I have been told in the past that I need to have routed running on both
systems in order for this to work. I've spent a good deal of time tonight
trying to get things working, all to no avail.

        Getting this running would really help me get things done around
here, so it isn't just an idle project. If anyone has any sort of
experience with this and would be willing to help me out and answer a few
questions that the man pages don't fully explain, I would very much
appreciate it!

        And if I get this work, I'll certainly summarize back to the list so
that it gets into the archives (and this question can be settled for good).

--
Steve Madsen  <smadsen_at_cs.muohio.edu>
Systems Administrator/Programmer