Limited users

From: J.Amon <BAMON_at_OCVAXC.CC.OBERLIN.EDU>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 1995 14:21:01 -0400 (EDT)

Is there a really easy way to set up a series of users who have access
to the machine for storage of www pages, but who don't have access to
the general-purpose stuff, e.g. email, telnet, ftp, etc.

We want to give students accounts where they can store their web pages, and
give them both the ability to ftp files into their own accounts, and to
logon and edit files in their own directory trees.

We have other machines, however which are dedicated to email, telnet,
ftp, etc., and we don't want the students using those facilities on
this particular machine.

There ought to be a way to set up a group to which these users belong
which doesn't have access to those things. Hopefully, without having
to explicitly grant access to all of the other users to those standard
utilities.

Thanks,

Jennifer R. Amon PHONE: (216) 775-6987
Houck Computing Center FAX: (216) 775-8573
Oberlin College INTERNET: bamon_at_ocvaxc.cc.oberlin.edu
Oberlin, OH 44074 Home Page: http://amon.cc.oberlin.edu/