SUMMARY: RRD42 drivers for dos/winblows?

From: Ed Jones <ejones_at_sdl.psych.wright.edu>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 95 12:34:41 EST

I asked:
 Sorry to ask this here, but at least it's DEC related. I'm looking for
 device drivers or something that will let me use the RRD42 with the
 Adaptec SCSI card in a pc. Do they exist and if so, where? Thanks.

I hope the following don't mind if I use their wise comments to help others
who may have had similar problems.

Daniel E. Visbal said:
 You could use the drivers from Adaptec that came with the EZ-SCSI
 software from Adaptec also.

Pillaiyar Thanigasalam said:
 This should be no problem. The docs don't mention the RRD42 as a compatible
 CD-ROM, but they do say that any SCSI-II compliant CD-ROM should be. This one
 is! If the following doesn't work, you probably need upgraded software from
 Adaptec (I only got my card 3 weeks ago).

 Plug the RRD42 into the SCSI card (preferably with a SCSI ID > 1, some Adaptec
 cards seem to expect anything on ID 0 or 1 to be a hard disk). Then you need
 the ASPI dos driver for your card, the ASPI CD driver and MSCDEX, as follows:
 Plug the RRD42 into the SCSI card (preferably with a SCSI ID > 1, some Adaptec
 cards seem to expect anything on ID 0 or 1 to be a hard disk). Then you need
 the ASPI dos driver for your card, the ASPI CD driver and MSCDEX, as follows:

 Config.sys
  DEVICE=C:\SCSI\ASPI4DOS.SYS /D # I have a 1540CF card
  DEVICE=C:\SCSI\ASPICD.SYS /D:ASPICD0

 Autoexec.bat
  C:\SCSI\MSCDEX.EXE /D:ASPICD0 /M:12 /L:E # and whatever other options

 The EZ-SCSI software did all this for me as I had the CD-ROM connected when I
 installed it.

Selden E Ball Jr said:
 If you remove the "parity" jumper, RRD42 CD-ROMs respond as
 the Sony CD-ROMs that they really are, instead of using
 the DEC specific firmware and device name.

 Sorry, I can't help with actually locating a device driver,
 but I'd expect any of the standard SCSI suppliers to include
 one for Sony CDs.

Taru Ross said:
 The RRD42 in my experience has been a Sony CDU-541. There is a jumper
 block on the back of the drive itself, inside the enclosure if it's a
 standalone unit, next to the audio output that is used for the SCSI ID
 and the "mode". Mode is the leftmost set of pins followed by ID0, ID1,
 and ID2 from left to right.

 There are two modes, 0 and 1 with 0 being without a jumper, and 1 with.

 These are how they are defined in the RRD42 Disc Drive Owner's Manual.

        Mode 0 -- Default mode. When the drive is shipped from
        Digital, the jumper is NOT installed. The drive operates in
        the default mode with a block size of 2 kilobytes. Use Mode
        0 under MS-DOS and SCO UNIX operating systems.

        Mode 1 -- Standdard mode. When the jumper is installed,
        the drive operates in standard mode with a blok size of 512
        bytes. Use Mode 1 under VMS and ULTRIX operating
        systems.
 I've found that making sure that the Mode jumper is open and using
 Adaptec's aspi drivers works fine.

And I got one nasty reply from a fellow stating I should stay off this list.
I'm glad the helpful/arrogant ratio is high. :) I do apologize though for
asking this question but I thought it would be appropriate to ask a question
regarding a Digital drive product.

* Ed Jones --  ????????????           |     ejones_at_sdl.psych.wright.edu    *
* Signal Detection Lab                |     ejones_at_desire.wright.edu       *
* Department of Psychology            |     ejones_at_wsu  (Bitnet)           *
* Ed Jones -- Graduate Student        | This is your world in which we     *
* Department of Economics	      |	grow, and we will grow to hate you *
* Wright State University             |                                    *