Numbers rather than names for user in ls command

From: <amy_at_aloha.gsfc.nasa.gov>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 95 14:41:20 -0500

I have a 3000/300 AXP, and I just installed OSF1 V3.2 on it.
Due to conflicting instructions in the documentation, I upgraded
the firmware after the operating system, rather than before. (That
was rather amusing. It clearly states in the installation
instructions that the firmware upgrade should be done after the OS
upgrade. And vice versa in the firmware upgrade instructions.)

At any rate, I'm having a rather puzzling problem. Sometimes
when I do an ls, numbers come up for the owner, or group, or
both. The numbers are not representative of the actual UID or
GID, although they are consistent within the listing. The files
for which this happens seem to be randomly distributed.
It happens much more frequently with files on nfs mounted
filesystems and with files which I have imported.

If I reset the IDs back to the correct owner and group, they stay that
way the next time I ls.

Is this a bug or a feature? And how do I set it back to the original,
showing-actual-names state?

Thanks

Amy Skowronek Solar Data Analysis Center
amy_at_aloha.gsfc.nasa.gov NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center