Cannont obtain database information for terminal blah - process limit?

From: Stuart 'Zen' Bishop <zen_at_bf.rmit.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 1995 16:55:17 +1000 (EST)

(The SCSI tape drive problem is temporarily on hold for those interested
until this one is fixed)

Currently, when I have between 40 and 80 users logged onto our
Alpha 2100 A500 running OSF/1 3.0 + C2, users will start getting the
error message when logging in with telnet and rlogin:

cannot obtain database information for terminal ttyr2

The terminal will change. This message, in the early stages of the problem,
will occur after the user has entered their login name. A short while
later, users will not even get a chace to enter their user name.
I'm hitting some sort of limit, but I don't know what. Perhaps number
of processes? Number of processes owned by root?

MAXUSERS is set in the kernal configuration file to 738. I have created
as many pseudo terminals as possible. I know this is overkill, but it
was a possible solution to the problem.

Has anyone noticed similar behaviour?

I've talked to dec support, and I am currently waiting on some security
patches the guy at digital thinks might help. The other suggestion, which
I will be doing, is to enable the auditing system so I can track down
where things are failing. uerf is not logging anything relevant. Neither
is syslog.

 _____
// // __ For a good time call http://www.bf.rmit.edu.au/~zen //
   // / \ I\ I zen_at_bf.rmit.edu.au //
  // (-- I \I Unix Systems Administrator //
 // \__/ I I alias Stuart Bishop Business Faculty, RMIT //

 _____