summary (sort of): EDT++ and other goodies; a question?

From: Charles C. H. Jui <jui_at_phoebe.physics.utah.edu>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 1995 14:12:28 -0600 (MDT)

Thanks to all the people who replied to my inquiries about EDT++ and
other goodies. I found the following blurb on DEC's WWW server:

====excerpt: http://www.digital.com/info/Customer-Update/941103024.txt.html====

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

On September 9, 1994, Digital Equipment Corporation and leading
interoperability software vendors Boston Business Computing, Ltd. and
Sector 7, USA Inc. announced a limited time no-charge offer for six key
tools for coexistence between OpenVMS and DEC OSF/1 platforms.

The coexistence tools, developed, supplied, and supported by Boston
Business Computing and Sector 7, are being distributed by Digital. The
tools are packaged with the DEC OSF/1 media H-kit until August 1, 1995.
There will be no charge for the coexistence tools license, media, or
support.

After August 1, 1995, the free offer and distribution will end and the
coexistence tools will be sold directly from Boston Business Computing and
Sector 7.

The OpenVMS and DEC OSF/1 Interoperability Tools CD-ROM (AV-QBX6A-XE)
contains software from Boston Business Computing, Ltd. and OpenVMS
emulation software from Sector 7 that will run on DEC OSF/1 systems. These
free programs and support will be available only until August 1, 1995 and
can be installed on DEC OSF/1 V3.0 (or later) systems with any number of
users.

Boston Business Computing Ltd. provides EDT, Backup, DCL, and Mail
functionality with its EDT+, VBackup, VCL, and Vmail products for DEC
OSF/1 platforms. Sector 7 provides DCL and print and job spooler
functionality with its VX/DCL and VX/JSP products for DEC OSF/1 systems.

========end of excerpt=========================================================

I have one question for any DEC people who might be out there:
How are we to interpret the paragraph:

"After August 1, 1995, the free offer and distribution will end and the
coexistence tools will be sold directly from Boston Business Computing and
Sector 7".

Does this mean that after Aug. 1 the PAK's or licenses will expire and should
we actually find ourselves using the tool, we shall have to pay for a
renewal license at that time any way? Or are the licenses we receive for
these products perpetual? Will the software stop working unless we fork over
more money at that time?

I assume that we shall have to pay for updates of these products if we
want to have them...but do the copies being shipped have built-in time-bombs?

thanks

Charlie Jui
Dept. of Physics
U. of Utah