SUMMARY: TLZ0x for DOS/Windows

From: Joerg Leyendecker <leye_at_bernina.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 1995 14:58:09 -0300

Sorry for being so late with the summary. A few time ago I asked here:

>sorry to ask this in a unix list, but nobody could help including DEC support
>here in Switzerland.
>We are running PC as server with Windows for Workgroups. We want to connect
>a TLZ06 to an Adaptec SCSI Controller.
>Now I need a driver or a backup software for DOS/Windows for using the tape
drive.
>Do a driver exist or a software exist and if so, where?

REMARKS:

   I have had four times more e-mails from people with the same problem as
answers to
   my question. So it was the right place to ask for this problem here.
   Following you find some abbreviated answers.

   Thanks for all responses !!

THE ANSWERS:

1) phj06_at_bk.dk (Paul Hostrup-Jessen)
   suggested a tool called pctar.exe which works with a free availible driver
   called aspitape.sys.

   Comment: This is not the solution I have looked for, but this very nice tool
   for reading tapes with tar from a unix workstation on a DOS PC. For this
I was
   looking a long time. Special thanks to Paul Hostrup-Jessen. He has
attached the
   2 files to his e-mail, very good service.
   If someone is interested on these files, contact me or Paul.

   Works fine!!

2) Christian Kurth <kurthch_at_uetli.enet.dec.com>
   "Doug McPherson (617) 441-4565" <DOUGM_at_delphi.com>

   PCtools v8 from Central Point Software

   Comment: works with the TLZ06, but we are still testing concerning
quality and
            compression.

3) Ketil Perstrup <kpe_at_ne.dk>

   Corel SCSI which comes with a backup utility.

   Comment: evaluation copy ordered.

4) Brent Peter <brentp_at_uksh.logica.com>

   Backup Exec, written by Conner Software

   Comment: evaluation copy ordered.

5) lamhof_at_thijssen.nl (Lambert Hofstra)

   gnutar with ASPI support availible on ftp.cdrom.com

   Comment: downloaded but not tested

6) kenoyer_at_pmesd.enet.dec.com

   Arcada Software, Inc. has a Backup package that'll work just fine. Microsoft
   uses Arcada Backup in Windows NT. I have used both the WfW product and the
   Windows NT product to do backups to a TLZ06.

   I called the (U.S.) 800- number and asked if they had an European branch;
   they have one in the U.K., the numbers are:

        44 1628 771 299 (phone)
        44 1628 771 523 (fax)

   Comment: evaluation copy works fine.

7) Giorgio Zavarise <zava_at_pluto.dic.unipd.it>

   I do not know if such software exist, but I can suggest a different way
   to do the backup.
   You can connect your TLZ06 unit to a DEC workstation and then using the
   software PATHWORK (from DEC) you should be able to see the HD of the
   PC from the workstation, and to backup it.

   Comment: May be that's a way to do it, but we don't want to use Pathworks

BERNINA F. Gegauf AG Tel: +41 54 62 14 90 Joerg Leyendecker
Seestrasse Fax: +41 54 61 11 48 leye_at_bernina.com
CH-8266 Steckborn +41 54 61 28 58 SAP BC,
Switzerland UNIX Administration