LSM disk init summary

From: Michael Matthews <matthewm_at_sgate.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 1995 20:32:46 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks to alan_at_nabeth.cxo.dec.com for helping me out with this one.

My problem was I was trying to put a 3-disk RAID 0 disk set on a DEC 2100
4/200 w/ SWXCR and OSF/1 3.2 into LSM (boy, talk about acronyms).

LSM's GUI would not let me do it. If I had a label on the disk, it would let
me define the disk but any attempts to add it to a disk group would say
'private regions are invalid.' If I tried to init it, it would give either a
disk write failure (with label) or invalid device path (without label).

Well, Alan suggested I use 'voldiskadm' which is a command line menu tool
to certain LSM operations (like creating disks 'n disk groups).

At first, that did not work either:

  Initialization of disk device re5c failed.
  Error: Error: New partition layout for partition Q (start -1 end -3)
overlaps with other partitions in use.
New partition layout for partition q (start -1 end -3) overlaps with other
partitions in use.

The fix for me was to just specify the disk as 're5' vice 're5c' which
indicated the whole disk anyway.

I was successfully able to put the disk into the intended disk group, but I'm
doing this from home so I can't do any other operations on it (like subdisks
and plexes and volumes). I don't see any problems, since I've gotten farther
than before. :-)

Mike Matthews, Mike_Matthews_at_sgate.com (NeXTmail accepted)