VDUMP vs DUMP

From: Rick Beebe <BEEBE_at_BIOMED.MED.YALE.EDU>
Date: Tue, 02 May 1995 09:07:30 -0400 (EDT)

I have an Alpha 3000/500 running OSF/1 (er Digital UNIX) 3.0. I've heard
hints on this list that vdump is more reliable than dump, even though I'm
running a ufs system. (An aside: Does anyone have a step-by-step list of
what's needed to convert to Advfs? The docs are most confusing.)

I changed my backup script to use vdump and the backup fails with an i/o
error after the 3rd file system. The first time, it hung up the whole
system (keystrokes were taking MINUTES to be echoed). I finally rebooted
the machine. Subsquent failures were less catastrophic, but they seemed to
happen at about the same place. At first, in fact, I thought that either
the tape or the tape drive was bad. Switching tapes didn't help. Before I
called for service on the drive, I switched back to dump. Three backups
(two on the "bad" tape) and some test restores worked flawlessly.

Any ideas? Is there a known problem that corrected in a subsequent release
of OSF/1? What makes vdump "more reliable" than dump? As usual, all help is
greatly appreciated.

     Rick Beebe (203) 785-4566
     Data Network Operations
     Biomedical Computing Unit beebe_at_biomed.med.yale.edu
     Yale University School of Medicine beebe_at_yalemed.bitnet
     333 Cedar Street, New Haven, CT 06510