SUMMARY: dig on OSF - solved

From: <brian_at_hotrats.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 26 May 95 18:45:21 -0400

Thanks to Yi-Kai Tsai <cuma_at_csie.ncu.edu.tw>, I now have dig working
on OSF.

The solution, not surprisingly, is to replace all occurrences of
(long, u_long, unsigned long) with (int, u_int, unsigned int).

The only exception is in the resolv.h file distributed with dig2.0,
where the "options" field of the "state" structure is declared as
"long". The OSFV3.2 resolv.h also declares this as "long", so I
decided not to change it. In limited testing, the basic behavior of
the program seems to be identical for both cases.

Dig may be found at many archive sites, including:

        ftp://ftp.dec.com/pub/net/ip/manage/dig.2.0.tar.Z

I have a diff file suitable for feeding to patch that I can mail on
request.

[ Dig is a name-server query utility, like nslookup. It has more
options than nslookup, both in the information it can get and the
format it is presented in. The feature I use most is reverse-lookups,
where you specify a numeric IP address and the nodename is returned.
With nslookup, you have to reverse the address and append
"inaddr.arpa" or some such. With dig, you just give it "-x" and the
address. ]

----
Brian McAllister                             Internet: mcallister_at_mit.edu
Bates LINAC (MIT), Middleton, Ma             (617) 253-9537