AdvFS: intermittent failure of writes

From: David Lucas <dlucas_at_worldbank.org>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 1995 09:35:07 -0400

This question is being posted to both comp.unix.osf.osf1 and the
alpha-osf-manager list.

We're running AdvFS made up of 6 rz28s (12GB) attached to a SWXCR (as
JBODs) on a 2100 4/275 under OSF/1 V3.2. The only patch applied is for
the AdvFS/SWXCR/Prestoserve option.

The domain (image_data_domain) contains a single fileset (bankreports)
comprised of approximately 165,000 TIFF images and corresponding text
files. We receive our images from a service bureau on CD, and then copy
them (cp -r) to disk. Ultimately, we expect the domain to grow to 40
GB.

The problem we've encountered is when the filesystem (/bankrpts) gets
down to approximately 5% free, the copy operation doesn't copy every
file, but rather drops every 5th or 6th one with the message:

        cp /mnt/bankrpts/images/0006.tif: No space left on device
        cp /mnt/bankrpts/images/0012.tif: No space left on device
        cp /mnt/bankrpts/images/0018.tif: No space left on device
        cp /mnt/bankrpts/images/0024.tif: No space left on device
        cp /mnt/bankrpts/images/0030.tif: No space left on device
        .
        .
        .

The error is reproducible, and always occurs around that 5%
threshold. Once we add an additional partition to the domain, the
problem goes away.

I'm aware of the issues surrounding the default 50,000 file-limit in
AdvFS, and the -x option to addvol to increase this value, but I'm not
convinced this is the issue. We're already well over 50,000 files, so I
assume each addvol increases the total number of files for the domain by
the default, and if we did, in fact, use up all the vnodes I would think
that no files would be copied, rather than the every-6th-file-is-dropped
pattern we see.

If AdvFS simply requires a 5% overhead per domain, I can live with
it. But it's the random dropping of files that worries me. Has anyone
else encountered this and/or can explain/verify the behavior?

Thanks,

d.

David Lucas E-mail: dlucas_at_worldbank.org
The World Bank Phone: 202.458.5214

        Practice random, senseless acts.