SUMMARY: NetWorker/NT clients

From: Paul Hostrup-Jessen <phj06_at_bk.dk>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 95 16:14:27 +0200

Hello Alpha managers,

My original question was:
-------------------------
Do any of you have experience installing Windows NT clients on a Networker
server installed on a AXP machine (OSF/1)? We encounter this problem:

We have NetWorker installed on our DEC AXP server running OSF/1 (Digital Unix).
This server (referred to as "unix-host") acts as the NetWorker server.

We have recently purchased a Windows NT NetWorker client to try out on one
server (referred to as "nt-client") before going ahead with a major installation
on serveral more clients.

The installation on "nt-client" (running version 3.5 of Windows NT) was appar-
ently successful. We have the "Legato Portmapper" and "Remote Execute Service"
running and both "nt-client" and "unix-host" are known to each other (can be
"ping'ed").

However, we are unable to configure "nt-client" on the NetWorker server. We get
the error message:

"Can't access "nt-client" due to network problem, missing client nsrexecd, or
incorrect /.rhosts file, re-apply to create it anyway".

"Re-applying" doesn't help much.

On "nt-client", double clicking on "WinWorker" produces the message:

"Server "unix-host": "nt-client" is not a client of this server"

Something must be missing in the communication between the two, but taking a
glance at all the documentation provided we can't quite figure out what.

The following solved the problem and was brought to my attention by Legato's
support staff (support_at_legato.com) :

On the NT servers you must have a "hosts" file located via the path:

C:\WINNT35\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC

- and it must contain entries for both the server and the client(s).

There simply wasn't any valid "hosts" file on the NT-server. Once this was
created it worked right away.

Also thanks to the following guys for their input:

"Paul E. Rockwell" <rockwell_at_rch.dec.com>
"Didier Wagenknecht" <wagen_at_slalpha1.epfl.ch>
"Hellebo Knut" <bgk1142_at_bggfu2.nho.hydro.com>

Paul Hostrup-Jessen

Department of Electronic Data Processing
Unix system administration

Bruel & Kjaer A/S
DK-2850 Naerum
DENMARK

email: phj06_at_bk.dk

tel. : +45 45 80 78 55 + 2433 (direct dial from touch-tone telephones)
fax : +45 42 80 14 05