Upgrading/Revising Firmware, Software, Hardware

From: Javier Trelles <javier_at_blaze.ME.Berkeley.EDU>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 1995 18:00:28 -0700 (PDT)

Hello, Digital UNIX Sys. Admins.:

     I used the netscape Find option to search titles in
http://www-archive.stanford.edu/lists/alpha-osf-managers/hyper95/ but could
not find an exact answer to my specific questions. It is unfortunate that I
do not have a more creative query topic but I want to make as few mistakes
as possible (and it is very popular :-).

PRESENT SYSTEM: DEC 3000 Model 300LX Alpha AXP Workstation
                OSF/1 V2.0 (Rev. 240) Operating System
                FirmWare v. 5.1

I want to upgrade to version 3.O (and, eventually, 3.2) of the OSF OS. (I
prefer to upgrade as opposed to a complete installation.)

     I was able to successfully upgrade the FirmWare to version 5.1. I was
not able to upgrade the TURBOChannel FirmWare - I kept getting empty string
error messages for SLOT #'s 4 & 5. Furthermore, in the "Read This First"
document there is this warning: "For the DEC OSF/1 Version 3.0 software to
operate properly, ... the RZ25L disk must be at revision 008 or higher." I
was at revision 007 before upgrading the FirmWare & I was at revision 007
after as well. I was under the impression that upgrading the FirmWare
would suffice? The "Read This First" document suggested a work-a-round,
which has been implemented, but I would still like to clarify the issue.

Q1: Is there such a thing as a Firmware upgrade for hardware?
Q1.1: If so, is it on the Firmware CD or on another CD?
Q1.2: Does it have some special designation/abbreviation?

Q2: Would issuing the commands `repair 4` and `repair 5` at the TC_UPD->
    prompt eliminate or exacerbate the TURBOChannel problem?

Q3: Just in case it isn't answered in 1 or 2, can someone please tell me
    how to change the revision number of an RZ25L disk from 0007 to 0008 or
    higher?

Q4: Does anyone know what kind of applications could write to the flash ROM?
    (I am planning on turning the update jumper off after the update but
    am curious to know if any potential flash ROM erasing application reside
    on my system.)

      I'll write up a detailed SUMMARY and try to include any other
pertinent information that might be sent to me so that no one has to ask
these types of questions again.

Very Best Wishes,

Javier