[Q] Printing through a JETDirect card

From: <"Stephen>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 1995 07:59:48 +0000

Greetings,

        I am running several Alphas under OSF/1 V3.*, mainly using Pathworks.
I have many HP printers (4si's and laserjet 4 s) all of which come with a
JETDirect card as standard (free). Can anyone give me assistance on printing
through these JETDirect cards direct from the Alpha. I have read through the
JETDirect manual and this seems to indicate that UNIX printing can only be
achieved through a HP or SUN box. I'm sure that there must be a direct route
somehow from the Alphas.

        I currently use a couple of workarounds :-

        i) Print remotely through a SUN SPARCstation
        ii) Pathworks print through an OS/2 LAN MAnager workstation
        iii) Print to the serial port via LAT.

        Although all of the above 3 options work, they are not ideal. Options
i) and ii) introduce another possible point of failure in the print process and
option iii) is SLOW.

        I would greatly appreciate any help on this matter and will, of course,
summarise and acknowledge all useful tips etc..

        Thank You in advance

        Steve Butcher
        CSC Computer Sciences Ltd
        Warton Aerodrome
        Bldg w354a
        Warton
        Lancs
        England
        PR4 1AX

        E-Mail: Stephen.S.J.Butcher_at_Warton.mad.bae.eurokom.ie

        I'm sorry that my E-Mail address could not be a little bit longer as it
is 3 characters short of the current world record. (Unless, of course, you know
better).