SUMMARY (revisited) -- ISA fax/modem board and pc peripherals

From: Ernie Rael <ernie_at_MasPar.COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 95 09:30:05 -0700

My original summary said:
> ... disable the COM2 serial port in the process"
and

>I had intended to keep COM2 available, but it appears that the ace
>driver (serial driver for standard PC serial ports) only handles
>two active units. I could find no man pages or documentation on this
>driver. I thought i'd be able to set the modem board address to something
>like COM4's but then set the IRQ to one of the unused IRQ's, but since
>the driver seems to support only two units....
>Rather than screw around experimenting i just let COM2 be disabled.

An anon source corrected me (i should have experimented), you can
keep COM2 available.

To add a PC compatible serial port (fax/modem board):

    You can do this. Just set the modem to an unused irq, and do an
    isacfg like:

    isacfg -mk -slot 1 -handle COM4 -etyp 1 -enadev 1 -irq0 5 -iobase0 2e8

    Then boot genvmunix, and the system will see an 'ace2' device (you can
    also configure an 'ace3' device). Build a custom kernel, and make the
    new device for ace2:

    # cd /dev
    # ./MAKEDEV ace2

    This will make a tty02 device (tty00 and 01 will still be available
    for external devices).

If you have allready done the add_fax command, then at '>>>' you can do
the following to re-enable COM2 and change the irq for COM4.