tty flags on login?

From: Hans Liss <Hans.Liss.ml_at_UDAC.se>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 1995 12:15:30 +0200

Hi!
We have an AlphaServer/1000 running OSF/1 3.2, on which users run a rather old
administration system in which they have to have CAPS LOCK on all the time.
I am reluctant to change the user names to all caps and so they have to toggle
CAPS LOCK whenever they are logging in to the system.
There is an stty flag called iuclc that would help a lot here, making the
system convert uppercase to lowercase on input.
Is there any way to have this flag set before login is called?
I have experimented with a hacked tcpd that sets the flag before starting
the telnetd server but it seems that telnetd resets the terminal attributes.
Is there any other way? I have tried to find something like /etc/gettydefs
for telnet connections but I haven't found anything.
Am I completely off mark here or is there some way to do it?

/Hans Liss, UDAC (Uppsala Datacentral), Sweden