Alpha internet server TIN will not post

From: managers account <managers_at_mannet.mcb.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 1995 11:21:26 +0100 (BST)

TIN is bundled in with the internet package as the newsreader. It
refuses to post 9 times out of 10 from root with an error message
article rejected -- saved to .//dead.article (which it does).

I don't know why it should do this. We are providing a news service with
INN and posting is O.K. if done from Netscape on the same account. I
have also changed the default editor by setting the EDITOR variable to
Pico or ed without any change to the error.

Surely if it is a config error then it shouldn't post at all! It is this
one out of ten which really beats me.
I have mailed the author Ian L and posted to the nntp readers newsgroup
without obtaining a response so thought somebody on the list might be
able to point the way.
Thank you
Stuart McKenzie