SUMMARY: Wireless Ethernet

From: Param Bedi <bedi_at_castle.beaver.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 12:09:20 -0400 (EDT)

My original question was :

> This is not related to DEC-UNIX, but I wanted to know if I could get some
> information on "wireless ethernet". We want to setup a ethernet
> connection between 2 buildings, but because of some contraints we are
> unable to lay fiber between the two.

I am including some of the responses that I've received so far. We are
looking into certain other options and as soon as we get something in
place I can post another summary. Thanks for all those who responded.

1. From: Paul Bushen <pb_at_hawke.co.uk>

we used to be a reseller for Telesystems SLW Inc who made an ARLAN III
wireless ethernet bridge. The only information I have is from an old bridge

Telesystems SLW Inc
Don Mills
Ontario
Canada

sorry there's no phone number

2. From: Markus Buchhorn <markus_at_octavia.anu.edu.au>

One example I know of (having their box here, but not unpacked it yet :-( ):

Proxim, Inc,
295 North Bernardo Avenue
Mountain View, CA 94043
1-800-229-1630

You might need to check range limits, and building transparency (they
can help you out with that). You might be able to go rooftop to rooftop
with a clear line of sight..

Hmm - their product is really designed for portables etc. You might need
to dedicate a PC to be a 'receiver' and router on one end of the link. It
should be doable.

3. From: "Randolph K. Zeitvogel" <rkz_at_hampstead.k12.nh.us>

How far apart are the two buildings and are there any trees in the way?

If not and the distance is less than a mile, then I would recommend using
two Aironet Arlan 640 Ethernet bridges and a pair of 2.4GHz yagi
antennas. This should provide you with a 2Mbit link between the two
buildings. The 640s are Ethernet bridges and that I have used
successfully in a cellular arrangement.

If you need more info feel free to ask.

Randy Zeitvogel
SERESC, Inc.
11 Peabody Road
Derry, NH 03038
(603) 434-0556

4. From: David Grant <david_at_lambton.on.ca>

You can roll your own RF link if you are a little bit of a hardware
type. Get a couple of NCR WaveLan cards (900Mhz spread spectrum
wireless ethernet). Pop them in a pair of PCs. 386DX16s or better
seem to work fine. Add a pair of ethernet cards and get a copy
of KarlBridge or some other PC router software. Toss the little
indoor antennas and add a 6 to 12 element 902-928 Mhz Yagi antenna
at each end connected with 75 ohm cable tv coax. 50 ohm coax should
work too.

I've had T1 speeds to my basement LAN for 4 years now, with only two
outages. Once when a ice storm coated the antennas with a half inch
layer of ice and once when one WaveLan card failed. I'm about a mile
and a half from the college.

Beats dialup!

BTW the DEC card seams to be an OEM version of the WaveLAN. Never tried
one but it should work too.

5. From: Kim Greer <klg_at_dec3.mc.duke.edu>

  You should give a call to Proxim at 1-800-495-8801. They have a 2.4 Ghz
wlan. I've seen others advertised but don't have their ads handy. Good
luck. You might want to send a followup later if and when you get such a
system installed. I would find this interesting. Good luck.

Param Bedi Phone : (215)572-4019
Information Systems & Networking Manager FAX: (215)572-0240
Beaver College
bedi_at_beaver.edu

To err is human; to really screw up it takes a computer.