SUMMARY: Slow system/FDDI

From: Eugene Chu <chu_at_musp0.Jpl.Nasa.Gov>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 1995 12:49:52 -0700

I asked this list about a problem I had with FDDI file transfers slowing
down my 3000/500 system running OSF/1 v1.3a. I got a number of responses,
with the general consensus being that the DEFTA-FA of that vintage may
have a firmware bug that causes the ring to re-initialize when used for
file transfers. Also, the fta driver may also have a memory leak problem
which gets worse the more you use it. However, before starting to do
the huge file transfers (rcp), I had been doing huge transfers over
custom socket based programs, and did not have this problem.

However, I am advised that I "REALLY REALLY REALLY" should upgrade to the
newest version of OSF/1 to avoid the above (and other) problems with the
earlier versions of OSF/1. This will have to wait until I solve some
problems I'm having with using CAM to talk to our custom SCSI interface
on any OSF/1 beyond v1.3a; the same set of software run on v2.x or 3.0
causes the system to crash with kernel memory errors.

Thanks to the following for their responses:

Jari Tavi - jpt_at_namix.ENET.dec.com
Jonathan Rozes - jrozes_at_gumbo.tcs.tufts.edu
Don Ritchey - dritchey_at_chipsi.com
John F. Stoffel - john_at_wpi.edu

eugene chu