SUMMARY (so far...) netgroups in /etc/hosts.equiv

From: Julyan Cartwright <julyan_at_hp1.uib.es>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 95 17:39:55 MET

Yesterday I asked:
> I can't seem to get the Alphas here (3000/500's running 3.2C) to use a
> netgroup entry in /etc/hosts.equiv.
>
> I have set up some netgroups on our NIS master and exported them via NIS to
> the other machines. On an NIS client I can check that the netgroups are
> exported OK;
> ypcat -k netgroup returns:
> CondMat (hp1.uib.es,,) (idefix.uib.es,,) (galiota.uib.es,,)
(obelix.uib.es,,) (mendieta.uib.es,,) (panoramix.uib.es,,) (estrenc.uib.es,,)
(formentor.uib.es,,) (llucalcari.uib.es,,)

> I then add the line:
> +_at_CondMat
> to /etc/hosts.equiv
>
> On the other machines here (HP, Sun), this works fine - I can rlogin
without
> password between machines, but on the Alphas, it doesn't. It seems that the
> Alphas are taking no notice of the netgroup line in the /etc/hosts.equiv
file.
> (I do have the line netgroup=yp in the /etc/svc.conf file.)
>
> I can't think of anything I've forgotten to do, and the only logfile entry
> I can find is in /var/adm/sialog where it just says 'Failure to
authenticate
> session' without further explanation.
>
> I hope somebody can point out where I'm going wrong here, because I'm
getting
> frustrated trying to get this to work!

Well - I'm still frustrated... I had responses from
David Warren <warren_at_atmos.washington.edu>
Szemethy Tivadar <tiv_at_vma.bme.hu>
"Dave Wolinski, University of Michigan" <wolinski_at_umalp1.physics.lsa.umich.edu>
"Danny J. Mitzel" <dmitzel_at_everest.hitc.com>
Hellebo Knut <Knut.Hellebo_at_nho.hydro.com>
- thanks folks.
Everybody has offered useful suggestions, but I still can't get it working!
Let me bring you up to date on what I've tried, to see if anyone has any
further ideas.

Several people suspected that the problem might be with fully-qualified and
non-fully-qualified hostnames - that is, 'hp1' vs 'hp1.uib.es'. I also
suspected this, although we are running DNS, and I have the line
'hosts=local,bind,yp' in /etc/svc.conf' which means it looks for names with
the DNS before checking with NIS (the local hosts file only has the localhost
entry). In addition, I'm serving the fully qualified names with NIS too, with
the hostname as a nickname.

To test the hostname theory, I made up a netgroup with one entry, something
like this: Test (hp1,,), exported it with NIS, and added +_at_Test to
/etc/hosts.equiv on the Alpha. Then I tried logging in to the Alpha from hp1.
I many times with different formats for the Test netgroup:
Test (hp1,,)
Test (hp1.uib.es,,)
Test (hp1.uib.es,-,)
Test (hp1,,NIS_domain)
Test (hp1.uib.es,,NIS_domain)
Test (hp1.uib.es,-,NIS_domain)
Test (hp1, , )
Test (hp1.uib.es, , )
Test (hp1.uib.es, -, )
Test (hp1, , NIS_domain)
Test (hp1.uib.es, , NIS_domain)
Test (hp1.uib.es, -, NIS_domain)
None of these worked. On the other hand, on an HP machine, the entry
(hp1.uib.es,,) works fine...

I tried changing the netgroup line in /etc/svc.conf between netgroup=yp,
and netgroup=local,yp - no luck.

I also had the suggestion that NIS might be the problem. I'm not completely
sure it's not, but I don't think so - I have the Alpha running as a slave
server, and the information appears the same on the master and on the Alpha
slave when I type ypcat -k netgroup.

Another concern - I am assuming that whatever reads /etc/hosts.equiv
picks up the changes to the netgroup map immediately - I am correct?

If anyone has got netgroup entries in their /etc/hosts.equiv file on an
Alpha (especially under 3.2C), and it works fine for you, please let me know!
        Julyan
--
Julyan Cartwright                   Email    julyan_at_hp1.uib.es
Departament de Fisica               NeXTmail julyan_at_obelix.uib.es