ADVFS root file : advantages and drawbacks.

From: <Jean-Claude.PETIOT_at_iea.fr>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 1995 15:26:54 +0100

Hi,

I am working on our future evolution from Dec OSF/1 V2.0 to Digital Unix
V3.2C and I am still wondering if will setup the root file system as an
Advfs one.
I am not really convinced of the benefits of having / defined as Advfs,
for the following reasons :
- size of the partition is 64 Mbytes, very stable, so I do not see the
benefit of the Advfs fast recovery on such a small partition;
- I do not see any need for setting up quotas of this file system;
- Let me know if I am wrong , but my understanding is that dditional
utilities like addvol cannot be used on an Advfs root file system;

I would appreciate to get your comments and (good or bad) experience
before stating what I do

Jean-Claude.Petiot_at_iea.fr
International Energy Agency - Paris