SUMMARY Help! "End Session" from X now cant get back on!!

From: GANet Engineer <bradb_at_s1.GANet.NET>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 1995 11:12:13 -0500 (EST)

Many thanks to all who helped me with this one. The key fix came from
Hellebo Knut who suggested I use an rexec call to shutdown and restart
the xdm server.

So, instead of powering down the machine and crashing all the disks, I
successfully got control of the machine again. Here is the C I used:

#include <stdio.h>

main()
{
  int zero = 0;
  char *out[] = { "hostname" };

  rexec((char **)out,512,"rootuser","rootpassword",
        "/sbin/init.d/xdm stop",&zero);
  perror("exec()");
}

and on solaris I linked with -lnsl -lsocket.

(in case anyone needs this fix).

- BRad