SUMMARY - Warning Banner

From: <mclaughl_at_nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 95 15:05:47 -0500

 My original post:

    We need to setup a warning banner prior to login so
   it can't be put into motd. When I put the message
   in the gettydefs file, only 79 charcters will print.
   The rest of the message gets truncated. I'm told that
   the message length is defined by "#define MAXMESSAGE #"
   but I can't find where MAXMESSAGE is being set. I've
   looked in all the system files, but no luck. We really
   need this warning banner so all help is appreciated.

 Answer: from Lannie Loh <loh_at_tom.alf.dec.com>

 The MAXMESSAGE is hard coded in gettytab.c, getty.c and uugetty.c.
 There is no way you can change it unless you have the source code.
----
 However, TCP Wrappers will allow me to setup a long login banner
 among many security features.  From the following:
 Paul S. Sears sears_at_uh.edu
 David E. Tetreault davet_at_junior.acc.uri.edu
 Eric Bennett <bennett_at_hpel.umd.edu>
 Craig I. Hagan <hagan_at_ttgi.com>
 Sheila H. Franklin sfrankl_at_relay.nswc.navy.mil
 THANKS to all for responded so quickly!!!  I'm installing
 TCP Wrapper on my machines now.
Steve
mclaughl_at_nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov