STATUS: amanda & dump -- running out of semaphores

From: Ken Mayer <kmayer_at_mrj.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 1995 19:10:56 -0500 (EST)

This is an interim update on my problem getting Amanda 2.2.6.6 to work on
my Alpha 3000/500 running OSF/1 3.2.

The problem is that Amanda starts up dump in sendsize-dump just long
enough to get the tape estimate, then it kills the process. dump, being
what it is, creates 3 semaphores and 1 shared memory segment that it does
not release when terminated this way, so it leaves cruft around. By
default OSF/1 3.2 allows a maxium of 16 semaphores per process (I think).
So after Amanda does 5 estimates, the table is full for the backup user
id. By adding the following lines to the kernel config file, rebuilding
the kernel and rebooting, I got enough room in the semaphore table to run
Amanda. Problem is, now I need to run a clean up script to remove all the
old semaphores before the next Amanda run starts. (hack, gag, cough).

Here are the mod's I put in my kernel config:

semmni 90
semmns 200
semmsl 60

Here's a URL with a good summary of the problem and info on what the
kernel parameters mean: