SUMMARY: Oracle performance numbers under Digital Unix

From: Bob Haskins <haskins_at_myapc.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 10:44:10 -0500

Recently, I asked the following question:

>Does anyone have, or can anyone point where I can find, performance
>numbers for Oracle running under Digital Unix? Someone in my
>organization (not me) is trying to decide between Oracle under NT or
>Digital Unix.

Many thanks to the following people for their responses:

Bryan B Sorrows <bbsst_at_lis.pitt.edu>
arun sanghvi <sanghvi_at_proto.wilm.ge.com>
<deya_at_Pyramids.apana.org.au>
John Henning henning_at_zko.dec.com

Mr. Henning of Digital came closest to what I was looking for. Everyone's
mailbox:
Bryan B Sorrows:
I don't have an answer for you, but I am sure that it would have a lot to
do with how you configured the DB i.e. raw devices for tablespaces,
size of various DB caches etc.
arun sanghvi:
We do not have "precise" numbers on Oracle. We migrated our MRP
system from DEC 5000/240 [65mb] Oracle 6. to Alpha 2100 4/233.
For identical performance we upgraded the system to two cpu,
512mb. We did move the same application from Oracle 6 to 7.
<deya_at_Pyramids.apana.org.au>
I don't know any sites that post such statistics, but I am running Oracle
7.0 on NT 3.5, and Oracle 7.1.3 on OSF/1 3.0 , and I feel that on OSF/1 ,
Oracle is very stable .
Another thing to consider, OSF/1 is 64 bit, so is Oracle taking adv. of this.
On NT , it is noly 32 bit .
John Henning
You've probably found out by now that there's probably no official
answer to your question of NT-vs-UNIX for ORACLE.

Nevertheless, a few items of interest -

  - The largest Alpha that NT currently runs on is the AlphaServer 2100
    series. We have published a performance estimate of 2800 tpm
    for the AlphaServer 2100 5/250 running Microsoft SQL Server 6.0
    under Windows NT 3.51. See the press release title "AlphaServer
    Salvo continues", dated 26 July 1995, available via www.digital.com
    (detailed URL appears to be:
       http://www.digital.com/info/pr-news/95072601PR.txt.html
     but I found it by walking down from www.digital.com)

  - Digital UNIX (and ORACLE for Digital UNIX) is available on larger
    systems, namely the AlphaServer 8200 and AlphaServer 8400. On
the
    8400, we released an officially-auditted TPC-C result of 9414 tmpC
    at a cost of $316 per tmpC. See www.oracle.com/info/news/tpc.html

PLEASE note that Digital does not assert that a "tpm estimate" is
comparable to an audited "tpmC" result. I'm just pointing out that
Digital UNIX currently supports rather larger hardware than NT.

If you think your workload is more of a mid-range workload (how many
business *really* do more than a few hundred transactions per minute,
anyway?) you may wish to make the decision on other criteria than
top-end performance (e.g. user interface).
Bob
haskins_at_myapc.com