logout command?

From: Mr. Kenneth L. Atchinson <katchins_at_sandstone.baldwinw.edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 17:57:12 -0500 (EST)

Hello Managers,

I maintain a network of 2 AIX machines and 1 DEC UNIX machine. In
bringing the DEC UNIX machine online, most of my users noticed command
differences between AIX and DEC UNIX. I don't personally agree with some
of their claims that AIX commands are better, but in on sense there is a
command that is missing. If you use the Korn Shell, and have an Korn
Shell written application which performs various tasks including LOGGING
off, there is no "logoff" (logout) command in Korn Shell nor in DEC UNIX.
Performing an "exit" in a ksh script only exits the script. Thus my
users in this script can not logoff the system using the script.

Anybody got any workarounds? A C Program to log you out?

BTW-My temporary workaround is to add a global alias

alias menu=". /somepath/menu"

which sources the menu ksh script into your current ksh process. Thus an
exit from the script will log the person off the machine.

Any other clues?

Kenneth Atchinson Baldwin-Wallace College
UNIX System Administrator 275 Eastland Rd.
katchins_at_baldwinw.edu Berea, Ohio 44017
Voice: (216) 826-6967 FAX: (216) 826-6545