alpha/Microsoft Mail SMTP gateway

From: <phjessen_at_bk.dk>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 96 08:14:48 +0100

Hi alpha managers,

We have an AXP host (OSF/1 3.0) at our site which apart from another application
serves as our central mail host, communicating directly over a leased line
with our Internet supplier.

Mail is exchanged with a Microsoft Mail SMTP gateway (a DOS PC) via the local
area network. We have no problems receiving and sending mail directly on the AXP
host, but incoming mail routed to the SMTP gateway stalls on the AXP from time
to time.

The "mailq" command shows a lot of mail files waiting to be transferred with
the error messages "Deferred: Connection refused by the SMTP gateway".

The "ping" command shows that the SMTP gateway is alive and the "nslookup"
command also verifies that the gateway is known by the name server.

We believe this to be a problem rather on the SMTP gateway than on the AXP.
Does anyone who has the same kind of setup recognize these problems and know
what we could do to trace the problem? Rebooting the SMTP gateway does actually
help for a few hours until it decides to stop receiving mail again, but this is
not practical in the long run.

Best regards

Paul Hostrup-Jessen

Department of Electronic Data Processing
Unix system administration

Bruel & Kjaer A/S
DK-2850 Naerum
DENMARK

email: phjessen_at_bk.dk

tel. : +45 45 80 78 55 + 2433 (direct dial from touch-tone telephones)
fax : +45 42 80 14 05