Elapsed time between RPC client and server

From: <godin_at_harlem.stna7.stna.dgac.fr>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 96 15:10:54 +0000

I'm now working with ONC RPC on DEC Alpha AXP/Digital UNIX V3.2.

I start a RPC server and its client on the same machine and I observe the
following results :
        - when the underlying protocol is UDP, elapsed time between client and
server is very low (< 1ms), whatever the size of transmitted data (by the way,
this size is limited to 8 kbytes over UDP),
        - when the underlying protocol is TCP, elapsed time between client and
server remains very low (< 1ms) while the size of transmitted data is lower than
4 kbytes, but grows to ~200ms when this size exceeds 4 kbytes !

I can't find any explanation to these strange results ; it would bo so helpful
if some guru could enlight me ...

Answers should be send at godin_at_harlem.stna7.stna.dgac.fr.

Thanks a lot to give attention to my problem.