Oracle on Alpha 2100

From: <"Geert.VAN>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 1996 14:40:10 +0100

Hello there,

Our DBA is experiencing a weird problem with Oracle. Here it is.

We have a 4 cpu Alpha AXP2100/A500 - OSF/1 3.2 (Rev. 214) running Oracle RDBMS 7.2.2.3.
As I'm living in Belgium and not everyone speaks English over here, we would like to make use of the NLS (National Lanuguage Support) introduced in Oracle since version 7.2.

In order to be able to use this feature, we must set the variable ORA_NLS prior to starting our database. This is done from /sbin/init.d/oracle with the command su -oracle -c '/oracle/product/7.2.2/bin/dbstart.
User oracle uses csh and the ORA_NLS variable is set in .cshrc to /oracle/product/7.2.2/ocommon/nls/admin/data.

Now our problem is that Oracle is not taking into account the setting of ORA_NLS rendering the feature unusable. We found a workaround: Opening an oracle shell, unsetting ORA_NLS and setting it again and the doing the dbstart.

You can verify that the feature works when you do a select from sqlplus:

select to_char(sysdate,'day','nls_date_language=French') from dual;
This should result in 'vendredi' instead of 'friday'; otherwise you get an error.

Is someone experiencing the same kind of problem in setting ORA_NLS and knows what to do about it ?

PS.: We were having the same problem a few weeks ago, when our machine was still running OSF/1 3.0.

Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.

Send e-mail to "geert.van den eede"_at_scic.cec.be and/or christian.elias_at_scic.cec.be

Thanks,

Geert Van den Eede Christian Elias
Systems administrator DBA
European Commission