POP and SMTP problems

From: John Banghart <john_at_success.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 1996 15:15:55 -0500 (EST)

We are running POP3 and SMTP on our DEC 3000 with OSF 3.2. Things have been
fine but our users have started complaining that email keeps timing out when
trying to send or receive. It should be noted this machine is also the primary
DNS server.

I have tried rebooting with no effect. Also, I am seeing what I would say is a
abnormal number of smtp and pop3 connects in the 'netstat' output, most of
which say SYN_RECVD. What exactly does this flag mean?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

----
John Banghart
Systems Administrator