IBM connectivity

From: Ernie Rael <ernie_at_MasPar.COM>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 1996 11:59:07 -0800

We need to send/recieve large files between an alpha and an IBM compatable
mainframe. We'd like to be able to control the transfer from the alpha.
We're trying to get hold of someone knowledgable within DEC who can help
us sort through options. So far we've come across the "DEC Channel Server
Box" and "DEC DW300/DT424". We would like high performance ESCON speeds.
The Channel Server looks like old and expensive technology, and i don't
see anything about performance to the alpha box. The DW300/DT424 look
more like a lan speed, token ring thing and won't get the performance
we want.

Does anyone have info about these products, any other DEC products or
any third party products that can be used for "good" performance
mainframe connectivity. I can't find the word ESCON anywhere in the
archives.

-ernie