DEC FDDI Card: Cannot get a connection

From: Andrew Sheaff <sheaff_at_eece.maine.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 1996 09:34:15 -0500

I have a DEC 3000/800 and just installed a FDDI card but I cannot get
the card to talk to my FDDI ring. Here's some specifics:

3000/800:
        uname -a: OSF1 marple.eece.maine.edu V3.2 214 alpha
        FDDI card: DEC CRE DEFTA FDDI Module Name: PMAF-FU (fta0) UTP

Swithing Hub:
        Network Peripherals EIFO+ configured for single attachment UTP.

I ran catagory 5 UTP from the hub to Marple. The cable has this
configuration:

      Marple Hub
        1-------------8
        2-------------7
        3-------------3
        4-------------4
        5-------------5
        6-------------6
        7-------------2
        8-------------1
       pin goes to pin

The cable is a crossover cable as recommended and described by the docs
with the hub. The cable runs about 70 feet.

Marple finds the FDDI card, passes its self tests, initializes the DMA,
downs the link and then tried to establish the link but fails with this
message (syslog and console):

Jan 18 18:14:47 marple vmunix: fta0: LCT rejects
Jan 18 18:14:47 marple vmunix: fta0: Link confidence test failure inboth
(localand remote) directions.

The hub sees the cable but tests the link continuously.

Any ideas on how to solve this? Is the cable correct? Do pins 3,4,5,6
need to be swapped? I did find fddi_config and the fta man page but
didn't find very much. I didn't find much at gatekeeper either.

Thanks, Andy

--
Andy Sheaff - sheaff_at_eece.maine.edu
http://www.eece.maine.edu/Faculty/Sheaff.html