SUMMARY - Software licensing

From: Jim Johnson <jj_at_uniprise.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 15:23:34 -0500

Hi All,

Sorry for the slow summary. I got the usual deluge of responses,
nothing like licensing to get people talking.

Bottom line: There is no CPU serial # or machine specific ID. The
              closest thing would be the ethernet hardware address
              which can and does change on occasion.

              Also, while using the ethernet address seems the most
              common way of node locking a product, they're were many
              pleas not to use it for the aforementioned reason.

              Flexlm was also touted as a potential solution.

Thanks to all who responded and sorry if I miss anyone.

tpb_at_zk3.dec.com - especially!
tb_at_eci-cec.com
alan_at_nabeth.cxo.dec.com
golden_at_falcon.invincible.com
phdmn_at_siva.bris.ac.uk
rockwell_at_rch.dec.com
kliebert_at_kgo.csc.com
boris_at_gore.afep.cornell.edu
cchd_at_lucifer.latrobe.edu.au
jt_at_mcduffie.net
neeland_at_madmax.hrl.hac.com
hb_at_o2tech.fr
PPIDGEON_at_omc.otis.utc.com
fagan_at_large.fnal.gov

Original query:

Hi All,

We are trying to implement some form of licensing in our product but
we are having a hard time getting the information we need.

First we wanted to use DEC's lmf but it seems no one in DEC can get us
the information about it. They'll sell use the Pak generation
software (which only runs on a VAX) but we can't seem to get any info
on the function calls and libraries used.

So we are going home grown for at least the time being. What we are
trying to find is some node specific information like CPU serial
number or something along those lines. The sysinfo call seemed to be
the ticket until the man page explained that SI_HW_SERIAL command has
not been implemented.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jim Johnson                                The Optimist believes we live
UniPrise Systems Inc.                      in the best of all possible
email: jj_at_uniprise.com                     worlds, the Pessimist fears
Voice: 617.229.1105   Fax: 617.229.0014    this is true.