SUMMARY: Tape drive on second SCSI card

From: Gordon Findlay, Computer Scientist <GORDON_at_chmeds.ac.nz>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 1996 9:18:45 +1300 (NZDT)

Date sent: 23-JAN-1996 09:05:12

I asked

>we've just received an AlphaStation 200, with 2 SCSI interfaces. At present the
>second has attached to it a TLZ07 DAT, which SHOW CONFIG identifies as mkb500
>There's a device at SCSI ID 5 on the first bus as well - it's an RZ29B.
>
>How do I run MAKEDEV for the tape on the second SCSI? Doesn't look like rmt05;
>Is it just rmt13?

Thanks to all who replied. My guess was right as far as the SCSI ID is
concerned: devices on the second SCSI bus have IDs 8 - 15.

As far as MAKEDEV is concerned, Tom Blinn said:

>mkb500 is tz13. (SCSI tapes are tz names; MAKEDEV figures out the mapping
>from tz* to rmt*. A new rmt is set up for each tz encountered, in the order
>the device files are created -- make sure you make all the tz names at the
>same time, in the right order.)

Others had much the same comments.

Thanks to those who replied:
Bertrand Hutin <hb_at_o2tech.fr> Pierre Wendling <wendling_at_ebc.vbe.dec.com>
Alan Rollow <alan_at_nabeth.cxo.dec.com> Brian Sheehan <sheehan_at_scripps.edu>
Alan Oborne <scoaco_at_thor.cf.ac.uk> Phil L <philip_at_uvo.dec.com>
Olle Eriksson <ole_at_cb.uu.se> Craig I Hagan <hagan_at_ttgi.com>
Dr Tom Blinn <tpb_at_zk3.dec.com> John Stoffel <john_at_WPI.EDU>
Charles Johnson <Charles_Johnson_at_ncsu.edu>
Steve Mc <mclaughl_at_nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov>
Lucien Hercaud <"Lucien HERCAUD"_at_paribas.com>

--
Gordon Findlay,  Computer Scientist, Christchurch School of Medicine
                 Nuclear-free New Zealand       ! We have enough youth. What